A kitchen remodel is one of the best home upgrades you can make. The kitchen is a vital part of the home. It’s where memories are made. An updated, convenient kitchen can make those memories even more special.
Kitchen remodels also add significant value to the home. According to the 2023 Remodeling Cost vs. Value Report, homeowners can see returns between 30.7% and 85.7% on a kitchen renovation project.
If you want to get the most out of your kitchen remodel, careful planning is essential. Here are some tips that ensure you’ll get optimal bang for your buck.
Determine Your Goals
The first step involves deciding what you want out of your new kitchen. Here are some ideas to consider:
· Create a new layout that makes your kitchen more efficient.
· Make your kitchen more accessible- think of lowering countertops and expanding walkways to allow for wheelchairs, walkers, and strollers.
· Create a ‘smart kitchen’ with updated technology like smart taps and smart trash cans
· Expand walkways- kitchen paths should be at least 36” wide. Paths in the cooking zone should be 42” wide for one cook and 48” wide for two cooks. Adjust your kitchen islands accordingly.
· Open or closed floor plan: Open floor plans were once desirable. But now homeowners are opting for closed plans that bring more privacy to the kitchen.
· Optimize Counterspace: Kitchen counterspace is always at a premium. Allow as much room for counters as possible. Consider staggering countertops to become more organized and create more space.
· Lighting is Essential: Lighting is a crucial element in all kitchens. If your kitchen is dark, consider additional lighting. It will also help a small kitchen look larger.
· Update Your Electrical: Outlets are another thing you can never have enough of in a kitchen. Consider adding outlets in convenient places. You should also replace old outlets with ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) for added safety.
· Get Sustainable: Sustainability is a kitchen remodeling trend that’s not going anywhere. Make your kitchen more environmental with energy-efficient appliances, compost bins, and eco-friendly materials.
Decide on a Budget
Your budget will help you decide what you can and can’t afford. If you have a limited budget, you may need to change your goals. An ‘if it ain’t broke don’t fix it’ mentality will help you trim the fat.
For example, if the windows work, why replace them? You should also avoid doing anything that requires a plumbing modification if your pipes work well.
You can also save money by making the function a priority. You can always enhance your kitchen aesthetics in the future. Right now, you should focus on creating a kitchen that adds convenience to your life.
Talk to a Designer
Once you have your goals and budget in mind, it’s time to get a designer on board. A designer will tell you what’s doable and what’s not. Your consultation may affect your goals and budget, but that’s why they are the experts.
It’s also wise to get a second, and even a third opinion. Get a few designers in for estimates. Choose the one that best meets your goals and budget requirements.
Choose Your Appliances
Your appliances will play a crucial role in your kitchen remodel. Cost can range from a few thousand dollars to hundreds of thousands of dollars. They will also affect your layout.
When choosing appliances, consider the space you have in your kitchen as well as your budget. Decide which appliances you need before you start your remodel.
Now that all the pieces are in place, you can schedule your remodel. You may not have access to your kitchen while the remodel is happening. Or you may have partial access only.
Plan around the project. If the workers are going to be there from 8 to 6 each day, and the kitchen is functional, try to make meals before they come and after they leave. If the kitchen is nonfunctional during the remodel, plan on eating out or getting pre-prepared meals.
Enjoy Your New Kitchen
Once the kitchen remodel is complete, you can look forward to enjoying your new kitchen.
Majestic Kitchens and Bath Will Help You Reach Your Kitchen Remodeling Goals
The Majestic Kitchens and Bath design team will help you reach your kitchen remodeling goals. We will create floor plans that allow you to envision different kitchen layouts. We’ll determine an elevation that helps you maximize your space. We’ll perform the agreed-upon steps and get you the kitchen of your dreams.
Contact us to schedule an appointment or visit our showroom. Discover how we can make your kitchen remodeling project a success.